Jameson’s Irish whiskey is one of the most popular brands of Irish whiskies on the market.
Established in 1810, the company has built a reputation for selling a range of whiskies that are sweet, mellow, and quite floral.
Jameson’s Irish whiskey is a great choice for cocktails because it has a clean and fragrant taste that blends well with various mixers.
This article will share a few of the most popular mixers for Jameson Whiskey for you to try along with a couple of simple cocktail recipes.
What does Jameson Irish whiskey taste like?
Jameson is a blended Irish whiskey containing pot still whiskey (a mixed mash of malted and unmalted barley) and grain whiskey.
Its main ingredients are unmalted and malted barley, Irish water from the Dungourney River, and maize. It has been triple distilled, which gives it a very smooth taste.
Jameson Irish whiskey is aged in bourbon and sherry barrels for between 4 to 7 years.
Jameson is a light Whiskey that can be enjoyed neat, as part of a cocktail, or with a mixer. It has an attractive floral aroma with hints of marmalade, pear, apple, fudge, clove, and hops.
Its dominant flavors include:
- Light oak
The finish contains honey, butterscotch, milk chocolate, and a tiny bit of spice.
What can you mix Jameson Irish Whiskey with?
This whiskey’s light flavor profile makes it quite versatile and usable with many mixers and cocktail ingredients. The most popular mixers for Jameson Irish whiskey include:
Water is arguably the best mixer for any whiskey. Simply add a splash of room temperature water to 60 ml of Jameson in a glass and enjoy.
Add water until you reach a point where the flavors of the whisky are not masked by the alcohol content.
If it’s a warmer day, try chilled soda water with Jameson.
Coca-Cola is a popular mixer used with most spirits, including bourbon, Scotch and vodka.
Its sweetness helps to offset the bitter characteristics of the whisky and makes it very easy-to-drink.
To make a Jameson and Coke:
- Fill a tall glass with ice
- Add 60 ml of Jameson Whiskey
- Add 120 ml of Coca Cola (or more depending on your flavor preference)
- Gently mix
- Add a lime wedge for garnish (optional)
Ginger Ale or Ginger Beer
Ginger ale is a refreshing drink that pairs well with Jameson Whiskey. I
t adds a lovely “zing” and sweetness to the flavor of a drink and helps some of the floral notes of the whiskey shine.
If you want to try a ginger mixer with Jameson, try this simple Jameson, Ginger & Lime cocktail:
- Fill a tall glass with ice
- Pour 60 ml of Jameson whisky over the ice
- Top up with ginger ale and stir gently
- Cut a large lime wedge, lightly squeeze it into the glass and drop the wedge it in
The lovely citrus and apple flavors within Jameson really shine when paired with the sweetness of Lemonade.
Simply fill a glass with ice, add 60 ml of Jameson Whiskey and 150 ml of lemonade (or whatever you prefer taste-wise).
You can also try this great recipe for Irish Lemonade:
- Mix 1 part Jameson with 2 parts lemonade, 2 parts ginger beer, and a dash of bitters in a pitcher or punch bowl
- Serve in a tall glass with ice, with a lemon slice and fresh mint for garnish
The oak, cocoa, citrus, and vanilla flavors in Jameson work very well with coffee.
Jameson has actually shared a wonderful recipe that uses espresso coffee with their Irish whiskey:
- Dissolve 2 parts Demerara sugar and 1 part Muscovado sugar in 3 parts of boiling water to make a sugar syrup
- Stir your sugar syrup into 35 ml of Jameson
- Whip 30 ml of cream (optional, you can use canned cream to make it easier)
- Brew 90 ml of espresso coffee (two espresso pours) and add to your whiskey
- Float the whipped cream on top
- Garnish with a vanilla pod or stick of cinnamon
A rich and creamy glass of Guinness pairs beautifully with a shot of Jameson Irish Whiskey.
If you want to give this combination, pour a half pint of Guinness and drop in 30 ml of Jameson and 30 ml of Irish cream liqueur.