- 1 What Does Whiskey and Eggnog Taste Like?
- 2 Our Favourite Ways To Drink Whiskey and Eggnog
Eggnog is a classic seasonal beverage that is usually enjoyed during the Christmas holidays. It is a delicious drink that tastes like melted ice cream with a hint of cinnamon. Eggnog also has a wonderful creamy texture that is like nothing else.
Most people make their eggnog a little bit more exciting by adding a dash of their favourite spirit. But what about whiskey? Does it work well with eggnog or is it a waste of a quality spirit? Let’s take a closer look.
What Does Whiskey and Eggnog Taste Like?
Eggnog is a simple drink made from milk or cream, eggs, vanilla, sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg. It is a very sweet drink that is made even more delicious by the addition of mild spices.
Whiskey works surprisingly well with eggnog. When the two are mixed together, it creates a beautiful “bitter sweet symphony” (sounds like a great song title), which remain nice and creamy. The oak, citrus, honey, and other flavours commonly found in whiskey cut through nicely and create a truly special little drink.
Different types of whiskey will change the eggnog in different ways:
- Bourbon whiskey will add even more vanilla to your eggnog. It also provides some caramel, oak, and malt to compliment the nog’s flavours. It can be a very sweet combination, so best for drinkers with a sweet tooth.
- Rye whiskey will make your eggnog very spicy and give it a savoury flavour. The strong rye taste cuts through the sweetness nicely and gives the drink quite a kick. You certainly won’t forget you have whiskey in your egg nog.
- Irish whiskey will have a cleaner taste compared to rye or bourbon. It will cut through the sweetness of the egg nog more than bourbon and can add some interesting fruit/oak flavours (depending on the Irish whiskey you choose)
- Scotch whisky will give your drink a lot of kick. The hardy bite and strong smokey flavours of a good Scotch will push through the sweetness of the egg nog and give it plenty of body. A great combination if you want your whisky to be the dominant partner.
Our Favourite Ways To Drink Whiskey and Eggnog
Eggnog and Whiskey
Combining eggnog with whiskey is simple. Pour your eggnog in a glass and add whiskey to taste. However, if you are making a larger batch of whiskey, follow this recipe.
Eggnog and Whiskey Ingredients
- 1 Litre of Eggnog
- 5 Cups of Irish, Rye, Bourbon, or Scotch Whiskey
- Freshly grated nutmeg
How To Make Eggnog and Whiskey
- Combine eggnog and whiskey in a large punch bowl
- Serve in punch cups with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top
Homemade Eggnog and Whiskey
If you really love eggnog, making your own is great option as you can tweak the recipe to taste better with whiskey. Here is an excellent recipe for homemade bourbon eggnog from The Spruce Eats. Feel free to experiment with the ingredients or replace ingredients that you don’t have on hand.
Homemade Eggnog and Whiskey Ingredients
- 4 large eggs
- 170 grams (6 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon clove
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 60 ml (2 ounces) Cognac
- 60 ml (2 ounces) Grand Marnier (a vanilla liqueur can be substituted here as well)
- 120 ml (4 ounces) Bourbon
- 5 cups whole milk
- 240 ml (8 ounces) heavy cream
How To Make Homemade Eggnog and Whiskey
- Blend the eggs for a minute using a whisk or blender
- Add the sugar and spices and blend for another 30 seconds
- Add the whiskey, cognac, and liquor and blend for another 30 seconds
- Add the milk and cream them blend for another minute
- Cover the bowl and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes
- Serve in a teacup, covered with a sprinkle of fresh nutmeg or cinnamon
Why wait for Christmas? Make some eggnog today and kick back with this delicious drink in your hand!