One of the best reasons to include a bottle of whiskey in your liquor cabinet is the spirit’s incredible versatility. Whiskey can be enjoyed straight, on ice, or as a part of many different cocktails and whiskey shots.
Whatever your flavor preferences, you can find a whiskey-based drink that you will enjoy, from super sweet bourbon whiskey shots through to sour whiskey cocktails. In this post, I’m going to share the coolest whiskey shots that are worth trying.
Three Wise Men Whiskey Shot
Three Wise Men is a delicious whiskey shot that is simple to make. It combines three classic American whiskeys to create a very strong shot packed full of flavor.
- 15 ml Johnnie Walker Scotch Whiskey
- 15 ml Jim Beam Bourbon Whiskey
- 15 ml Jack Daniel’s
How To Make a Three Wise Men Whiskey Shot:
- Pour all three shots into a cocktail shaker filled with ice
- Shake well
- Strain into a shot glass
In this case, the three wise men are named John, Jim, and Jack. They combine to make an interesting shot with a lot of different flavors going on.
Duck Fart Shot
This whiskey shot is much more enjoyable than the name might suggest! It combines the delicious flavors of Bailey’s Irish cream, whiskey and Kahlua. According to legend, it originated in a bar in Alaska on a slow night.
A bartender was experimenting with drinks and serving them to an older female customer. The customer enjoyed this shot in particular and came up with the name ‘Duck Fart’ after experiencing some gas as she enjoyed her drinks.
- 15 ml Kahlua
- 15 lm Bailey’s Irish Cream
- 15 ml Whiskey (Use your favorite)
How To Make a Duck Fart Shot:
- Pour the Kahlua into a shot glass
- Very slowly, pour the Bailey’s into the glass over the back of a spoon. Your goal is to create a separate layer above the Kahlua
- Finally, add the whiskey on top, again using a spoon. You should have three separate layers of spirits and one delicious whiskey shot!
The name of this famous whiskey shot is a lot of fun to say, especially after drinking a few. It is a sweet and refreshing shot that is ideal for a retro party or summer BBQ.
This whiskey shot originated in the 1970s at the University of Alabama where college students reportedly drank a lot of them over the course of the decade. The beautiful crimson color of this shot matches one of the school’s colors.
- 15 ml Southern Comfort Bourbon Whiskey
- 15 lm Sloe Gin
- 15 ml Amaretto
- 10 ml Orange Juice
How To Make an Alabama Slammer:
- Place all ingredients into a cocktail shaker containing ice
- Shake well
- Pour into a tall shot glass
If you want to change this shot up a bit, try using 15 ml lime juice and 15 ml grenadine instead of orange juice.
There is also a Jack Daniels version which uses 15 ml of each of these ingredients: Amaretto, Jack Daniels Tennessee Whiskey, Orange Juice, and Creme De Noyaux.
Big Fat Elvis Shooter
Elvis was, without a doubt, one of the coolest people who has ever lived.
But he did let himself go a bit later on in life, thanks to a diet largely based on cheeseburgers, bacon, and ice cream.
The Big Fat Elvis Shooter is a whiskey shot that is a homage to the latter part of the King’s career when he was overindulging quite a bit. It is one of the strangest and coolest whiskey shots you will ever taste. It was first shared by the fine people over at The Spruce Eats.
- 500 ml of quality Rye Whiskey
- 1 Tbsp of Clarified Bacon Fat (yes, we are using bacon fat)
- 250 ml Amaretto
- 1 Tbsp Creamy Peanut Butter
- Maple Syrup
- Sea Salt
How To Make a Big Fat Elvis Shooter:
This a somewhat elaborate shot, with several steps.
- Make Bacon Fat Washed Whiskey
Place the clarified bacon fat and whiskey in a jar with a tight-sealing lid (read: how to make clarified bacon fat). Agitate thoroughly. For the next 4 to 16 hours, intermittently give the jar a shake. The longer you leave the whiskey in the jar, the more like “bacon-ey” it will taste. Next, freeze the whiskey and use a mesh strainer to remove the bacon fat.
- Make Peanut Butter-infused Amaretto
Place peanut butter and Amaretto into a jar with a tight-sealing lid. Shake briskly to combine, then leave for 30 minutes. Strain liquid until it is smooth. It should have the consistency of Bailey’s Cream Liqueur.
- Make a Big Fat Elvis Shot
Begin by placing a teaspoon of maple syrup in the bottom of a shot glass.
Next, fill a cocktail shaker with ice, 30 ml of bacon fat washed whiskey and 15 ml of peanut-butter infused amaretto. Shake briskly then pour a layer on top of the maple syrup. Add a pinch of salt to the top and enjoy.
Blackforest Whiskey Shot
This simple shot features an interesting combination of coffee, cherry, whiskey, and orange flavors. It is simple to make and extremely delicious.
- 10 ml Cherry Whiskey
- 10 ml Grand Marnier® orange liqueur
- 10 ml Kahlua® coffee liqueur
How To Make a Blackforest Whiskey Shot:
- Place the Kahlua in the bottom of a shot glass
- Add the whiskey
- Finally, add the Grand Marnier® Orange Liqueur
Kentucky Hot Tub
The Kentucky Hot Tub is a delicious shot with a spicy final note, thanks to a generous server of Tabasco sauce.
- 15 ml Jim Beam® bourbon whiskey
- 15 ml Cointreau® orange liqueur
- 10 ml Blue Curacao liqueur
- 3 – 6 drops Tabasco® sauce
How To Make a Kentucky Hot Tub:
- Place ice in a cocktail shaker
- Add all ingredients and shake briskly
- Pour into a shot glass
This is a delicious recipe, with rye whiskey and amaretto almond liqueur.
- 45 ml Rye Whiskey
- 15 ml Amaretto Almond Liqueur
How To Make an Amenie Mama Whiskey Shot:
- Combine both ingredients in a shot glass
Backdraft Whiskey Shot
This shot makes our list of cool whiskey shots because of how impressive it looks when served.
- 45 ml Drambuie® Scotch whisky
- 15 ml Grand Marnier® orange liqueur
How To Make a Backdraft Whiskey Shot:
- Combine both ingredients in a brandy snifter
- Use a lighter or match to ignite your shot
- Place your hands on top of the glass to form a seal and extinguish the flame
- Slide a straw between your fingers to drink your shot while keeping the smoke in the glass
- Finally, put the glass to your nose and inhale the delicious aroma (smelling the “backdraft” from your shot)
A muscle relaxer shot combines the delicious flavors of Amaretto Di Saronno® liqueur and Whiskey with the creaminess of Bailey’s. Simple to make and the perfect shot for a chilly winter’s evening.
- 60 ml Crown Royal® Canadian whiskey
- 60 ml Amaretto Di Saronno® liqueur
- 30 ml Bailey’s® Irish cream
How To Make a Muscle Relaxer:
- Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker that is half-filled with ice
- Strain into a large shot glass or highball glass
The Silver Bullet is a classic whiskey-based shot that combines the tartness of lemon with the complex flavors of Scotch whisky and Gin.
- 25 lm Gin
- 20 ml Scotch Whisky
- Lemon twist
How To Make a Silver Bullet:
- Place the gin and Scotch whisky into a cocktail shaker that is half full of ice
- Shake vigorously
- Pour into a shot glass and squeeze a lemon twist into the glass
This is a smooth shot that combines sweet and sour flavors. It’s simple to make and looks very cool.
- 15 ml Peach Schnapps
- 15 ml Royal Canadian Whiskey
- 15 ml Royal Triple sec
- 15 ml Sweet and sour mix
How To Make a Water Moccasin:
- Place all ingredients in a mixing glass with some ice
- Stir well
- Strain into a shot glass
Irish Car Bomb
This shot is designed to accompany a pint of Guinness, but it can work well with any stout ale or Indian pale ale. It is best to consume your drink rapidly after adding the shot to the beer as the Irish Cream can curdle in the beer glass. It is one of the most popular shots in pubs in the UK.
- ¾ full Pint of Guinness or another strong beer
- 30 ml Irish Whiskey
- 30 ml Irish Cream
How To Make an Irish Car Bomb:
- Place the Irish Whiskey and Irish Cream in a shot glass
- Place the entire shot glass into the beer
- Drink quickly!
Wild Wild West
If you like sweet whiskey shots, check out this simple recipe.
- 45 ml Jack Daniel’s® Tennessee Whiskey
- 30 ml Peach Schnapps
- 60 ml Cranberry Juice
How To Make a Wild Wild West shot:
- Place all ingredients into a shaker half filled with ice
- Shake vigorously
- Pour into a large shot glass
Thanks for reading our guide on Cool Whiskey Shots To Try. For more articles on whiskey culture and the many ways you can drink whiskey have a read of the rest of our blog.